Screenings, Education and Events
Brought to you by the Cecil B. Highland and Barbara B. Highland Cancer Center at UHC
Cancer Genetics Testing
Discuss with your physician whether you would benefit from genetic testing.
Cancer Survivorship Workshop
For all cancer survivors/family and friends. Important topics will be discussed which may include the following: communication, nutrition, spirituality, rehabilitation needs, financial issues, thoughts and feelings, and survivorship panel.
Community Support Groups
A free workshop where volunteer beauty professionals teach hands-on techniques to manage the visible side effects of cancer treatments that affect the skin, hair, and nails.
Let’s Talk to Kids About Cancer
For kids who have a close relative who has been diagnosed with cancer. Tour Infusion Center, Radiation Oncology and inpatient unit as well as discuss feelings and emotions with a therapist.
Men’s Health Event
Annually in the Spring: PSA lab test, testicular exam, prostate exam, and colorectal screening at no cost; preregistration required.
Skin Cancer Screening
Spring: Skin screening available at no cost; preregistration required.
Women’s Health Event
Annually in the Fall: Breast exam, pap test, colorectal screening and mammogram at no cost; pre-registration required.
Care Givers Support Group
Caring for a loved one can be stressful and challenging. Finding out a loved one has cancer can be overwhelming. The Cecil B. Highland, Jr., & Barbara B. Highland Cancer Center at UHC now offers a Care Givers Support Group to help patients’ families tackle the challenges of caring for someone with cancer. This face-to-face support group provides an opportunity to take a break from your responsibilities and nurture your emotional and physical health. The purpose is to provide a time and space for patients and family members to discuss feelings, concerns and attitudes in a caring atmosphere. The support group meetings will be the last Thursday of each month at noon.
Bereavement Support Group
Getting Through the Holidays
The WVU Medicine Hospice staff coordinates two (2) support groups to help individuals/families who have lost a loved one. The support groups are available not only to those who have lost a loved one as a result of a terminal illness, but to anyone seeking support. This service is available to anyone regardless of their past or present use of hospice services. The support group helps individuals overcome grief by:
- Making available a trusted and compassionate person to listen to your concerns.
- Providing education about the grief process and what you might expect to happen during your period of bereavement.
- Teaching you new ways to cope with the stress of loss and grief.
- Providing help in becoming involved in a new life – seeking out new support persons, groups, and activities.
- Simply knowing someone is available during time of need.
Support group participants are encouraged to become involved by:
- Sharing thoughts and ideas out loud. This can often help gain a better perspective about the meaning and effect of the loss.
- Discussing painful feelings such as despair, anger or guilt as a way to reduce the intensity of those feelings.
- Reminiscing about their loved one in order to help gain a better perspective on the relationship they shared.
- Discussing the changes they are experiencing in their life. This may ease the transition to a new beginning.
Grief support group meets in the WVU Medicine Hospice office. This is a varied group of participants.
Butterfly Kiss Support
This is an informal gathering for anyone who has ever been diagnosed with breast cancer. The focus of this meeting is to provide education, support and to share information and experiences. Meetings will be held monthly on every third Monday at 5:30 p.m., in classroom four. Refreshments will be served.
Smoking Cessation Support Group
A group for those needing support to stop smoking using the ACS program, Fresh Start.
Additional program information is available at wvcancercenter.com/programs.
Brought to you by UHC OBGYN
- Breast Feeding Education
- Cesarean Expectations and Tour
- Childbirth Classes
- Mini-Childbirth Class
- Sibling Tour and Explore
UHC was the fourth hospital out of 24 birthing facilities in West Virginia to receive Baby-Friendly Designation by Baby-Friendly USA, Inc.
Screenings & Events
American Heart Association (AHA) Training Center
Various courses according to AHA standards for both healthcare providers and community members.
Outpatient Diabetes Education Program
A nine-hour comprehensive course designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills to manage diabetes and to limit the power of the disease to disrupt your life. Meetings cover issues such as meal planning, insulin, exercise, stress, involving the family and more.
For additional program information, call 681-342-1862.
Routine Health Analysis
Chemistry profile including cholesterol, triglyceride and HDL, and Complete blood count. Includes 21 different tests ($45). Participants should fast 12 hours prior to test. Other tests offered include PSA ($20), Thyroid ($20), and Hemoglobin A1C ($20).
To schedule an appointment, call 681-342-1500.
United Hospital Center has implemented a policy to encourage social distancing in an effort to help contain the COVID-19 virus. This effort includes the suspending of this elective screening. We will continue to monitor this situation and make modifications as advised. Thank you for your understanding.
Reduce your risk of vascular disease. UHC is now offering Vascular Ultrasound Screenings. Available screenings include:
- Carotid Artery which screens for carotid artery blockage caused by excessive plaque, the #1 cause of stroke
- Abdominal Aorta which screens for an aortic aneurysm (AAA) that can cause a ruptured aorta
- Lower Extremity Arteries which screens for peripheral arterial disease, a risk factor for coronary artery disease.
All screenings are non-invasive and painless. Screenings will be conducted by sonographers and results interpreted by a physician specialist. By appointment only.
For additional information, call 681-342-1300.