Courtesy of USDA MyPlate
A modern twist on a Southern classic, this baked breakfast dish features eggs and grits with sweet potatoes and kale.
- 1 large sweet potato (orange flesh)
- 2 cups fresh kale (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (divided)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 3/4 cup grits (quick cooking)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat 4 individual soufflé dishes with 1 tsp vegetable oil.
- Make 3-4 slits in sweet potatoes; cook in microwave until just soft.
- When sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel, cut into chunks, and puree in food processor.
- Heat remaining vegetable oil in sauce pan, and sauté kale about 5 minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan, boil water and milk, add grits and sweet potatoes; cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sautéed kale.
- Divide grits mixture evenly among 4 soufflé dishes (or place all in casserole dish).
- Make 4 depressions in the grits mixture with the back of a large spoon. Carefully break one egg into each hollow.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes until eggs are cooked. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition per serving
- Calories: 280
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 185mg
- Sodium: 410mg
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 7g
- Protein: 12g
Makes 4 servings
Follow United Hospital Center on Facebook for more recommended recipes shared weekly.
Please note, the information provided throughout this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images, and video, on or available through this website is for general information purposes only. If you are experiencing related symptoms, please visit your doctor or call 9-1-1 in an emergency.